Know your audience. Know the generational context of the person you are talking with.
How do they see the world around them; what really matters to them and how can you effectively connect with them. That is the secret to working and communicating effectively across the generations.
Here are some ideas if you are the manager/leader to maximize the gifts that each generation brings to our workplaces these days.
- Traditionalists (1918-1945). Use their life wisdom especially in times of change
- Baby Boomers (1946 – 1964). Give them new challenges to stretch & grow
- Generation X (1965 – 1980). Keep things moving & provide autonomy
- Generation Y (1981 – 1995). Have them take the lead with technology
- Linksters (born after 1995). Tap into their expertise with social networking