How healthy is your organization? … That’s a good question. Your company may be business “smart” in how it handles its finances, marketing, technology etc. but is it equally focused on maximizing the strengths, expertise and emotional intelligence of its employees?
And how can you tell that? Intuitively, people know if their organization is genuinely healthy in ways that really matter most to them. It’s actually pretty simple. Here are my favorite 5 ways to assess your own company’s health (or team). Many additional ways are described by Patrick Lencioni in his book, The Advantage: Why Organizational Health Trumps Everything Else in Business; he gives us a wealth of insights into this fascinating idea of organization health.
5 Things Easy to Observe:
- Relatively low employee turnover. People want to work for you!
- Employees genuinely speak well of you and the company out of your hearing.
- There is a positive energy in the air – very little drama or unproductive complaining.
- People show up and are engaged beyond their basic job descriptions.
- Leaders are involved and available at every level.
What rating would you give your own company? Your own team? Challenge yourself to improve!